Gas Coolers Cleaned and Inspected in Nigeria
First gas cooler clean and inspection for new offshore platform
Tube Tech cleaned and inspected a number of gas coolers, including Koch / brown Fintube units, on one of the largest FPSOs (Floating production storage and offloading) units in the world off the coast of Nigeria.
This was the first time the gas coolers had been cleaned in preparation for a detailed integrity inspection since the unit was built three years ago. Tube Tech was awarded the contract due to its ability to both clean specialist small bore tubes (including twisted tube) and inspect the coolers.
- The client gave Tube Tech a very tight timeline to transport both equipment and crew out to site
- Planned set-up with 120-m between diesel driven equipment and workface, hose routes travelling round other working plant trains to minimise any risks
- Micro-bore tube internal diameters
- Cleaning and inspection of gas coolers took place directly beneath FPSO flare so high temperatures were a challenge.
- Tube Tech technicians had a limited working area as a host of other operations taking place during the TAR (turnaround) so constant liaison with scaffold crew, fitters, riggers etc was essential.
- Tube Tech used its unique SafeFlex™ system with bespoke unblocking and polishing heads to clean the gas cooler tubes.
- These techniques and technologies were able to remove coke formations and achieve the standard suitable for IRIS inspection without using excessive pressures or rigid semi-automated equipment.
- After cleaning Tube Tech conducted an IRIS inspection which showed the tubes on the gas coolers to be in good condition.
Tube Tech Comment
Scott Donson, Technical Sales Manager: “With so many different disciplines in one very tight area the client was amazed at how well the TAR personnel were able to integrate thereby allowing each discipline to conduct its work in an efficient safe manner. This was an extremely challenging contract that evolved day by day, but was executed within the tight timeframe and to the client’s specifications.”
Client Superintendent Comment
“Tube Tech did a very professional job and it was a privilege to work with such team players. They were very professional and took safety as their prime driver. All members of their team participated fully in all safety programs. Their equipment was all fit for purpose and was well maintained with all relevant paperwork and certs. These were available on request. They completed all their tasks on schedule and with zero incidents and accidents.”
For more information or to discuss your cleaning challenge get in touch today:
Phone: +44 1268 786999
Alternatively, click here to fill out our contact form.