Offshore Wind Farm Sections Cleaned
Safe working combines with efficiency
The transition pieces on a sea based wind farm were cleaned prior to the turbine towers being connected. Located 10 miles off the UK coastline the operator required a cleaning contractor with confined space training, the ability to work at height and also be offshore certified.
- The surfaces of the turbine foundations within this new wind farm had to be cleaned before the main turbine towers could be put into place.
- The turnkey management facilities contractor required a cleaning contractor who could meet the logistical challenges and also mobilise quickly.
- The logistical challenges included:
- Confined space
- Working at height
- Offshore certified
- Bespoke equipment light enough to lift 30m above sea level by hand
- Use of raw sea water as a cleaning medium
- Perform a safe and effective clean
- Following a search for cleaning contractors on the internet the turnkey contractor discovered that only Tube Tech was able to meet all of their exacting criteria.
- The Tube Tech team mobilised to each transition piece by boat.
- Wearing harnesses and life jackets operatives scaled the transition pieces, often in demanding conditions and lifted equipment to the top of the towers.
- Tube Tech used bespoke modified water pumps which enabled them to be hand carried and to take water directly from the Irish Sea.
- The top flange, walls and floors of the three sections within the transition pieces were cleaned and once each section had been cleaned the area was left completely dry.
- All six transition pieces were completed in five days. Cover pieces were placed on top of each transition piece to protect them prior to the connection of the turbine towers.
Tube Tech Comment
Scott Donson, Technical Sales Manager: “This was the first time Tube Tech had been contracted to clean an offshore wind farm. Our experience of working safely in confined spaces, at height and on offshore platforms meant we were well suited to clean the transition pieces within our clients timeframe plus solve all logistical challenges as no services were available. Our operatives were as ever exceptionally professional and ensured the contract was completed safely, efficiently and on time”.
For more information or to discuss your cleaning challenge call us on +44 1268 786999 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, alternatively click here to fill out our contact