Combined high pressure water jetting, rotary mechanical de-scaling and ultrasonics systems
A European polyethylene manufacturing site required a de-coke of their USX /TLX furnace tubes to as near to 100% as possible. Tube Tech had solved other heat exchanger cleaning challenges on their site and Tube Tech was called again, as local water jetting contractors could only ever cleaned to about 60% , failing to achieve suitable cleanliness leaving uneven coke on the walls of the furnace tube.
- Previous contractors used high pressure water jetting to clean the TLX / USX furnace tubes but scale always remained leaving a “key” for fouling to build up again.
- Previous contractors had taken 6 shifts to de-coke the 12 x 6” >1.5” USX/TLX furnace tubes.
- Client required a bare metal finish with simultaneous inspection to ensure maximum heat transfer.
- Tubes were fouled with hard furnace coke. The changing internal diameter meant that studded pigging was not an option. Steam air decoking also had not worked to the clients satisfaction.
- Tube Tech assured that furnace tube decoking could be completed within 2 shifts.
- A semi automated decoking system, WysperJet, would remove the coke in a uniform manner and within record time.
- The Furnace tube decoking system combined a “3 in 1” system including high pressure water jetting, rotary mechanical de-scaling and Ultra Sonics. All systems de-coking at the same time.
- Tube Tech removed the hard coke deposits from inside the USX / TLX furnace tubes with only 2 passes down each furnace tube.
- Furnace tube decoking was completed within the 2 shifts quoted.
- Tube Tech always mobilise 4 different Furnace Tube De-coking technologies to cover all eventualities.
Tube Tech Comment
“We appreciated the importance of a uniform clean when decoking furnace tubes and have first hand experience of using traditional 1000 and 2500 bar water pressure which in many cases is not enough to de-coke the layers of coke within the tubes. Our WysperJet furnace decoking system combines 3 systems in one cleaning head in other words what one system doesn’t remove, the next system will. This decoking system ensures 100% tube heat transfer surface area is cleaned.”